Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.
Prompt: One of the largest arguments I've gotten into was over one of my favorite films of the last few years, One Battle After Another. Coming out of the screening, I was ecstatic because it had really moved me, but my friend, Goose, was not a fan. It felt like we'd each seen two completely different movies. When we started discussing it, my goal was to change their mind completely, but as we got angrier and angrier, it was clear that would not happen. Taking a page out of Heinrich's Thank You for Arguing, I decided to concede by explaining that while it wasn't their favorite film, it was still made using a lot of effort. Still, I did not succeed.
Summary: In class, we went over pages in Jay Heinrich's Thank You for Arguing, and discussed the efforts that need to be taken to argue efficiently.
Reflection: When looking at Thank You for Arguing, we found three crucial areas when it came to seduction: mood, mind and act. Understanding these concepts is becoming increasingly important because even while we may not use them ourselves, it will help us identify when someone tries to seduce us.
Comments
Post a Comment