Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it?

Prompt: I stand by what I say a lot. In front of all my friends, I declared to them that I thought putting movies in two times speed was considered anti-intellectual and anti-art. My stance was met with verbal pushback because almost every single one of my friends either always did that, or had done it before. My ethos was questioned a lot, but I didn't budge. I said that altering a movies original format completely changed the intended experience, therefore combating any artistic impact it could've had. It was my main point, but because everyone disregarded it, my explanation became crucial.


Summary: Today in class, we read over a realistic fiction text, and we went in depth into formatting a paragraph: claim, evidence, explanation, evidence, explanation, and conclusion.


Reflection: In class, we argued whether there is a such thing as a "good kill" or not. When taking a position, I started to understand the importance of the audience. It became easier to position evidence based off the audience. For instance, it would be difficult to argue to a parent that there is no such thing as a "good kill" if an intruder broke into their house.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Describe one thing that makes you different from other people.

What is the most creative thing you have ever made? Share what it was and explain why it stands out as your best work.

Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.