Think about a time when you completed an assignment without fully understanding what the teacher was looking for. How might knowing the “ins and outs” of a rubric change the way you approach an assignment? Connect your experience to what you learned today about the AP Lang Argument Essay rubric.
Prompt: More often than I would like to admit, I am put in a situation where I don not understand an assignment. Being a naive middle school student, I assumed I submitted my magnum opus. In under twenty-four hours, I typed up a play script about the life of the mother of science fiction: Mary Shelley. I spent a lot of time on the assignment, but critics argued that I spent too much time on it. After seeing what everyone else did, I was appalled the rubric only required very little to complete the assignment.
Summary: We begin to deconstruct the rubric for the argument essay portion of the AP exam.
Reflection: Today, I began to understand that the AP scorers want students to do well. This doesn't mean putting in minimum effort, but instead, it turns into placing the seeds that the rubric requires. Simply having a thesis is already worth one point, so it has made conceiving the essay a lot easier.
Comments
Post a Comment